Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Adventures in Substitute Teaching: Cool Handshakes

I can't believe how long it's been since I last shared an episode of Adventures in Substitute Teaching! I have a fun story to tell you.

Scene: Elementary Math class.

Our task today was fun and full of learning. I was entertaining while the children learned about bar graphs. Sometimes, there's that one little boy that will finish early. He did. So, with just a few minutes left in the class, he asked if he could draw. I said, sure, but just for three minutes.

Sure enough, at the end of three minutes, he brought me a beautifully drawn paper.... for me to keep. It said, '3 Minutes'. He then left for the next class, bidding me farewell by saying, 'later, Rock star.'

I love a sense of humor in 4th grade.

A sense of humor is a good thing to have in the 5th grade as well.

A precious face told me how to spell his name today. He sounded it out through a thick phonics lisp. Seriously, twice, just so I understood.

One extremely cool 10 point handshake later, and the class was over. Days as delightful as this make me wonder why the real teacher ever leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment